Frequently Asked Questions
Who is OKC Tax Help?
Where can I file my taxes?
What are Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites?
What items do I need to bring with me to a VITA site?
- Identification (including photo ID and Social Security cards or ITIN letters and birthdates) for yourself and your spouse/dependents (if applicable).
- Income Statements or Forms (W-2s, 1099s)
- A copy of 2019 federal and state tax returns, if available.
- Proof of Expenses
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit. A voided check works for this. You can also use a pre-paid debit card.
- If filing with a spouse, both of you must be present to sign the required forms.
When claiming the EITC you cannot use your ITIN. You, your spouse (if filing jointly) and each qualifying child listed on Schedule EIC must have a Social Security number (SSN) issued on or before the due date of the return. Without an SSN you may no longer be eligible for the EITC.
You are still able to use ITIN to file your taxes at any VITA site for free.
What is the EITC?
EITC, Earned Income Tax Credit, is a benefit for working people, just like you. A tax credit means money in your pocket around the beginning of the new year. It reduces the amount of tax you owe and may also give you a refund.
Who can claim the EITC?
- You, your spouse (if you file a joint return) and all others listed on Schedule EITC
- Must have a Social Security number that is valid for employment and is issued before the due date of the return including extensions
- Your filing status cannot be married filing separately
- You cannot be a qualifying child of another person
- You must meet the earned income, AGI and investment income limits
- Income limits change each year, see EITC Income Limits for the tax year amounts
- And, you must meet one of the following:
- Have a qualifying child
- If you do not have a qualifying child, you must:
- Be age 25 but under 65 at the end of the year
- Live in the United States for more than half the year, and not qualify as a dependent of another person
What is Earned Income?
Earned income includes all the taxable income and wages you get from working for someone else.
When will I receive my refund?
- You file your return online
- You choose to get your refund by direct deposit
- No issues are found with your return
Most filers who will be receiving a direct deposit can usually expect to receive a refund in around 21 days. If you elect to receive your refund by check, it can take up to 1-2 months to receive your check by mail.