Frequently Asked Questions
Who is OKC Tax Help?
Where can I file my taxes?
What are Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites?
What items do I need to bring with me to a VITA site?
- Identification (including photo ID and Social Security cards or ITIN letters and birthdates) for yourself and your spouse/dependents (if applicable).
- Income Statements or Forms (W-2s, 1099s)
- A copy of 2019 federal and state tax returns, if available.
- Proof of Expenses
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit. A voided check works for this. You can also use a pre-paid debit card.
- If filing with a spouse, both of you must be present to sign the required forms.
What is the EITC?
EITC, Earned Income Tax Credit, is a benefit for working people, just like you. A tax credit means money in your pocket around the beginning of the new year. It reduces the amount of tax you owe and may also give you a refund.
Who can claim the EITC?
- You, your spouse (if you file a joint return) and all others listed on Schedule EITC
- Must have a Social Security number that is valid for employment and is issued before the due date of the return including extensions
- Your filing status cannot be married filing separately
- You cannot be a qualifying child of another person
- You must meet the earned income, AGI and investment income limits
- Income limits change each year, see EITC Income Limits for the tax year amounts
- And, you must meet one of the following:
- Have a qualifying child
- If you do not have a qualifying child, you must:
- Be age 25 but under 65 at the end of the year
- Live in the United States for more than half the year, and not qualify as a dependent of another person
What is Earned Income?
Earned income includes all the taxable income and wages you get from working for someone else.