Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Who is OKC Tax Help?
OKC Tax Help is an accessible network of free tax resources that work to get you the refund you are owed. We work and live in your neighborhoods and community. We love this city and the people who make it special. We’re committed to helping more of our citizens claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), because, you earned it.
Where can I file my taxes?

With VITA sites located across Oklahoma City, you have a lot of options! We recommend using our map to discover the best location for you.

Free Online Filing Resources

What is the Child Tax Credit?

The Child Tax Credit (CTC) is a stimulus payment for families with children under 17.  You qualify for the full amount of the 2023 Child Tax Credit for each qualifying child if you meet all eligibility factors and your annual income is not more than $200,000 ($400,000 if filing a joint return).

Parents and guardians with higher incomes may be eligible to claim a partial credit.

What are Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites?
The VITA Program offers free tax help to people, between January and April, who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities.
What items do I need to bring with me to a VITA site?
  1. 1.   Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents.   
  2. 2.   Proof of identification (driver’s license, state photo ID or other government issued identification that includes a photo)
  3.   An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  4.   Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  5.   Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  6.   Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  7.   Social Security Benefit Statements (SSA-1099), if applicable
  8.   Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  9.   Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  10. A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  11. Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  12. To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  13. Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  14. Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  15. Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable.

When claiming the EITC you cannot use your ITIN. You, your spouse (if filing jointly) and each qualifying child listed on Schedule EIC must have a Social Security number (SSN) issued on or before the due date of the return. Without an SSN you may no longer be eligible for the EITC.

You are still able to use ITIN to file your taxes at any VITA site for free.

What is the EITC?

EITC, Earned Income Tax Credit, is a benefit for working people, just like you. A tax credit means money in your pocket around the beginning of the new year. It reduces the amount of tax you owe and may also give you a refund.

Who can claim the EITC?
  • You, your spouse (if you file a joint return) and all others listed on Schedule EITC
  • Must have a Social Security number that is valid for employment and is issued before the due date of the return including extensions
  • Your filing status cannot be married filing separately
  • You cannot be a qualifying child of another person
  • You must meet the earned income, AGI and investment income limits
  • Income limits change each year, see EITC Income Limits for the tax year amounts
  • And, you must meet one of the following:
    • Have a qualifying child
    • If you do not have a qualifying child, you must:
      • Be age 25 but under 65 at the end of the year
      • Live in the United States for more than half the year, and not qualify as a dependent of another person
What is Earned Income?

Earned income includes all the taxable income and wages you get from working for someone else.

When will I receive my refund?
If you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), your refund may be delayed. You can expect to get your refund as soon as the first week of March if:

  • You file your return online
  • You choose to get your refund by direct deposit
  • No issues are found with your return

Most filers who will be receiving a direct deposit can usually expect to receive a refund in around 21 days. If you elect to receive your refund by check, it can take up to 1-2 months to receive your check by mail.

Economic Impact Payment/Stimulus Questions

Is the Economic Impact Payment considered taxable income?
The Economic Impact Payment is not considered income and you will not owe tax on your payment. It will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your tax return for the 2020 tax year. The payment will not affect your income for purposes of determining eligibility for federal government assistance or benefit programs.
Can I claim 2019 income for the EITC on the 2020 tax year?
Earned Income Tax Credit & Child Tax Credit changes for 2020 tax year. The look back agreement allows families to receive EITC and CTC based on their 2019 income if it is more beneficial. This will provide a higher credit for families that were unable to work as much, causing a reduction in income, during 2020.
Does the EIP check affect my other government benefits?
No, the EIP checks are treated as a tax credit. This means your payment will not impact the benefits you receive now or in the future.
What if I haven’t filed federal taxes?
If you aren’t required to file taxes but you have any earned income we recommend filing your taxes through GetYourRefund as you may be eligible for additional tax credits! If you’re required to file taxes, but didn’t file in 2018 or 2019, you can still file with GetYourRefund.
What if I moved since filing my taxes?
If you want your EIP check mailed to you, make sure your address is up to date on the IRS address change website. There may be delays – it could take up to five months to receive your check by mail.
Are the Economic Impact Payments still available?
If you did not claim or receive your Economic Impact Payment in 2020 you are still eligible to receive a payment. Economic Impact Payments will be available in either the 2020 or 2021 tax year. Instead of receiving a direct payment, you will have the opportunity to receive a credit when you file your taxes. The EIP will not reduce a taxpayer’s refund or increase the amount they owe when they file a tax return.
What if I don’t have a bank account?
If you don’t have a bank account, it could take up to five months to receive your EIP check by mail. To get your payment quickly via direct deposit, sign up for a bank account online and add your account information on the IRS Get My Payment website. If you don’t want to sign up for a bank account, you can link a prepaid debit card. Many of our VITA partners can also enroll you in a prepaid debit card when you file your return through GetYourRefund.
How do I get my Economic Impact Payment check?
If you filed your 2019 taxes, your economic impact payment (stimulus payment) will be sent to you by the method you chose to receive your 2019 refund (either mailed to your mailing address or directly deposited to the bank account you provided on your 2019 taxes). If you haven’t filed for 2019, the IRS will use the information on your 2018 taxes.
What if I missed the deadline to provide additional information or received a smaller EIP than expected?
In most cases, the additional EIP would be provided in 2021.
If I owe taxes, or have a payment agreement with the IRS, or owe other federal or state debts, will I still get the EIP?
Yes, but with one exception. The Payment will be offset by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if this occurs.
Have more questions on the Economic Impact Payment?

Still have questions?

We’re here for you.